Home » Decade » 1960 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage 1960s GE Combination Refrigerator in the Laundry Room!

October 4, 2018

As some of you might remember from a post I did several months back I was searching high and low for a vintage pink refrigerator for our kitchen (and I have good news about that I will share with you soon!) …but this post takes us in a different direction…to my laundry room!

Here is the current state of affairs in the laundry room……

image

And I call it a “laundry room” but it really is more like a “laundry hall” lol! I was backed up as far as I could get to snap this picture! Anyways, we are lucky enough to have a dedicated space for a freezer or a secondary refrigerator in the laundry area and when my Mom was changing out refrigerators we took this one as a placeholder. But,  I always had it in my mind that I’d LOVE to have a vintage fridge in here, it just came down to finding the right one.

So, like I said, I was searching all over craigslist for a pink refrigerator for the kitchen and one day *boom* this little cutie pops up on Craigslist!

image

EEK! It’s SO cute!!! After some back and forth with the seller arrangements were made to buy it and just like that we had found the perfect vintage refrigerator for the laundry room! The picture above was taken in our garage and don’t worry…we do have the bottom grill, it just happened to be off when I took this picture.

Here is a pic of the tag on the inside of the refrigerator. I tried to figure out a date of manufacture based on the serial number but I was never able to nail anything down. My guess is very early 1960s.

image

So, of course we had to practically dismantle the whole thing for cleaning and repairs.

image

Believe it or not ALL of those scuff marks came off!!

image

The seals were god-awful dirty….Ugh.

image

We tried and tried to find new white magnetic seals for the fridge, but all we could locate was a white freezer seal and a gray refrigerator seal. Sad smile If anyone out there knows of anyone selling new white magnetic refrigerator seals for my model of refrigerator (see serial # on tag above) PLEASE let me know!!

We also repaired several cracks in the plastic door liner of the refrigerator.

image

We used 2 part epoxy and fiberglass tape – the tape is not shown in this pict.

And then we put everything back together and voila, new vintage fridge for the laundry room! YAY!!!

image

It is seriously the perfect size!!!

I am pretty much in love with all of the chrome details!

image

There is even a starburst on the handle!

image

*sigh* why can’t you make cute refrigerators like these anymore General Electric?!

At any rate, I am SO excited to have this cute little yellow refrigerator in the laundry room now!

image

One fridge down, one to go…..stay tuned!

16 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage 1960s GE Combination Refrigerator in the Laundry Room!

1. Clarence Ellis Reply

October 4, 2018 at 7:39 am

Sara: this is WAY cool. We had the EXACT same refrigerator when I was a kid, in turquoise.

October 5, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Thank you so much Clarence!! I can just imagine this refrigerator in turquoise, it must have been gorgeous!!

2. brandon Reply

October 5, 2018 at 11:13 am

Sara: I love the retro fridge and always wondered how these are on the electric bill?

October 7, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Brandon – we have not noticed anything out of the ordinary yet..fingers crossed! 🙂

Side note- This one is old enough that it will need to be defrosted…I had read somewhere the old fridges with the original defrosters were the real energy hogs…though I cannot personally say either way!

October 6, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Aren’t counter depth refrigerators wonderful?!

October 7, 2018 at 2:02 pm

They are totally the best Jacki!!!

4. mary Reply

October 6, 2018 at 10:23 pm

That is a piece of art. That chrome detail is gorgeous. Just saw an episode “Green Acres” this AM and noticed the pink fridge in Lisa and Oliver Douglas’farmhouse kitchen.

October 7, 2018 at 2:03 pm

It really, really is a piece of art Mary! I love it so much!!! 🙂 Gonna have to try to watch Green Acres now to catch that pink fridge!

5. dkzody Reply

October 7, 2018 at 10:22 am

I agree with Mary–a work of art. What a great find. I wish today’s refrigerators were this great.

October 7, 2018 at 2:06 pm

*sigh* I know….why can’t modern refrigerators be even just a little bit more interesting/cute….its all just do you want this stainless fridge or that stainless fridge? 🙁

And thank you, I love it to bits!!!

6. Julie Reply

October 12, 2018 at 10:00 am

I love it so much! That starburst especially–it’s the little things. 🙂

October 18, 2018 at 2:13 am

I know Julie, all the little touches really make the fridge extra special!

7. Boston Susan Reply

October 12, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Sarah, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you are the midcentury whisperer.

And I agree…why don’t they make fridges like this anymore!

October 18, 2018 at 2:15 am

Oh, you are too kind to say that Susan!! 🙂

And I know….PLEASE bring back the cool refrigerators appliance manufacturers!!!!!!!!

8. RetroRuth Reply

October 13, 2018 at 9:19 pm

I am so happy for you!!! How cool that you were able to finally find a vintage fridge. And you guys are so dedicated with cleaning and restoration. I am sooooo jealous!

October 18, 2018 at 2:18 am

Oh gosh, thank so much Ruth! It’s really just so super perfect in there…I am really glad it worked out! Now we just need to get the kitchen fridge up and running and we will be good to go! 🙂