Home » Decade » 1960 » Antique Store Score: Life Magazine

June 13, 2018

Antique Store Score: Life Magazine

By Julia

On one of our antiquing adventures, my husband and I happened upon a full room of old vinyl records and magazines. Normally, I don’t take the time to peruse these displays as I would rather check out furniture and other décor. But this particular visit was shortly after I acquired a set of magazine racks, so I wandered in and began to flip through old issues of Life. Each periodical is its own unique slice of pop culture, from the ads to the articles. It was fascinating. Before long, I realized quite a bit of time had passed- I could have spent all day! I settled on a few issues that featured stories about the space race of the 60s. Today’s issue is from July 25, 1969 and cost a mere 40 cents.

Neil Armstrong waves to the crowd as he heads out to the Apollo 11 launch pad. It’s hard to fathom exactly how exciting this would have been when this issue was published in today’s world of instant news. Nonetheless, I find the space race captivating.

The story of the Apollo launch even got color photos!

The magazine’s table of contents displays previous issues that featured the space race to give readers a reminder of the journey that brought NASA to the moon.

Ads like this one, with its wordy text and sparse images, remind us of a time when the ad content was nearly as important as the articles.

This story talks about a new medical technology to help monitor babies during birth- a heartrate monitor.

Nowadays, we take this kind of technology for granted as it is used in nearly all hospital births. But it was cutting edge in 1969.

It wouldn’t be a 60s magazine without a cigarette ad. This one happens to be the back cover.

How about you, dear readers? Have any of you found any interesting periodicals on your treasure hunts?

7 Responses to Antique Store Score: Life Magazine

1. Eartha Kitsch Reply

June 13, 2018 at 9:16 am

I love these old magazines – especially the ads! It’s so easy to understand why so many people thought that the moon landing was fake. It would have seemed so crazy and impossible! I would love to go back and experience watching it on TV with the rest of the nation.

• Julia Reply

June 13, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Yes! The space race is so intriguing!

2. Barbara A Grandy Reply

June 13, 2018 at 4:30 pm

While working in my 95 year old mother’s basement several years ago, I found a full box of 1940’s magazines that she had kept. Each magazine was very centered on the woman being a wife and mother – making careful meal preparation, making clothes. There were several ads for pattern makers…like Simplicity and McCalls. Those magazines were destroyed when she had some water damage in her home…sure wish I would have saved them. They were a slice out of time.

• Julia Reply

June 13, 2018 at 7:48 pm

The ads are my favorite part! Too bad you weren’t able to rescue them.

3. Dan Reply

June 15, 2018 at 6:58 am

We found a Life magazine with a full spread on Queen Elizabeth’s coronation. There was a two page overhead shot of the crowd outside as she was leaving Westminster Abbey and my husband realized he was somewhere in that picture! His dad was working with the RAF at the time and they got passes for a special semi-VIP area. He was only about five years old , and his most vivid memory is of the enormous gold wheels on her carriage.

• Julia Reply

June 15, 2018 at 9:14 pm

How cool is that?!

4. sherree Reply

June 20, 2018 at 6:59 am

I remember my parents watching the moon landing. I was too young to realize what a big deal that was. I also love old magazines and pick them up when I see them for a good price. The ads are my favorite part; the kitchens and baths were so cheery and colorful!