Home » Decade » 1950 » Amazing Phoenix Arizona 1950s Time Capsule Ranch -Thursday Retro Rewind

June 21, 2018

Amazing Phoenix Arizona 1950s Time Capsule Ranch -Thursday Retro Rewind

This amazing million dollar Phoenix, AZ house is just WAY to amazeballs not to re-post!*sigh* the is one of the dreamiest houses I’ve ever seen in these parts…..I just hope that eight years after my original post, this house has survived intact!

I have to say that reader Shen must be the “Goddess” of all time capsule spotters! Shen is the one who spotted the time capsule gem with the Starburst door escutcheon a few weeks back. Click HERE for a link to that house. Shen recently spotted this totally bomb-a-licious MCM time capsule house in Phoenix, and I knew I had to share it with y’all. I think the only thing that had been updated in this house was the flooring. I have to say that this house would be THE PERFECT HOUSE for Mike and I – if it was not for the $995,000 price tag! EEPS!!!! This  house was built in 1956 and has 5 bedrooms and 4,114 sq. feet. On with the tour………………..

The front of the house with awesome brick and stone work. I think(???) the light stone could be limestone – not sure though.

The mailbox was a new, custom made, mailbox- but it looked so cool and MCM I had to take a pic of it.

The front entry also had planters with the same stone as the outside planters.

The original doorbell/clock to the left of the entry.

And now we step down into the formal living room. You can see the fireplace is done in the same fabulous white stone and has a really cool design! Love all the windows! And the lights!

Formal dining room.

Now for the kitchen! I believe the painted wood cabinets were original, but the I do not think the paint was original. Obviously, the appliances and faucet are new and the counter tops were a Corian type material. I have to say for a million dollars I thought the kitchen would be in better shape. You can’t really tell from the pics, but the cabinets were not in that great of shape. The paint was sticky/tacky and you could not close some cabinets or open other ones. Some of the cabinet wood was falling apart too, however I adore that scallop edge detail by the window! I thought the kitchen was charming, I guess it just needs some TLC!

Family room, with cool fireplace.

Laundry room.

OK, here is the first of 4 bathrooms. Get out your smelling salts here kids! They have THE BEST shower doors in this house!!!

2nd bathroom. Get a load of the Crane fixtures, I love the faucets! All the bathrooms, except for the yellow one above, had the cool Crane faucets. I believe all the mosaic type tile on the floors and tub surround is new.

3rd bathroom. Love the turquoise!

OMG! Really get out your smelling salts now kids, this is the 4th and final bathroom – the master bathroom- and it does not disappoint! PINK, PINK, PINK! This is the pink bathroom of my dreams!

The master closet is HUGE, with TONS of built ins!

Most of the bedrooms had these cool original ceiling lights.

And finally, the backyard. Lovely!

Oh boy, this one is a real doozy! I really do love this house, but it is soooooo far out of our price range we can only dream about it. Who knows, maybe we will win the lottery! I really do hope whoever does get this house really loves all the charm it has to offer and does not rip out all the retro bathrooms. Please, please, please don’t rip out those cool bathrooms!!! Thanks again Shen for an awesome find – keep them coming girl!

10 Responses to Amazing Phoenix Arizona 1950s Time Capsule Ranch -Thursday Retro Rewind

1. Susan from Boston Reply

June 21, 2018 at 7:57 am

What a beautiful house, minus the few updates that IMHO detract from the authenticity of the house – mainly the kitchen & flooring. Pity.

It is such a shame that people no longer value/treasure these houses and design (except for those of us who follow your blog). Back in mid-century, ‘they’ new what they were doing. Bathrooms and kitchens were so much more functional than they are today. Maybe I’m wrong about that but I don’t think so.

Thanks for sharing.

June 22, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Susan…..I completely agree, they really did do things *right* back then! The homes had both style and function…not all the vanilla bland that is out there today. 🙁

I am hoping more people start to see what beautiful homes these are…..and love them for what they are!! Fingers crossed!!!!

I love the new avatar…that dog is such a cutie! I have no doubt that one day you WILL have one of your own!

2. Susan from Boston Reply

June 21, 2018 at 7:59 am

BTW Sara, notice my avatar? That is my aunt’s dog, Tukkah. She has 2 Bernese Mt. Dogs (as well as horses and cats). Berners are my all time favorite dog. Some day, I hope to have one of my own. In the meantime, I crush on my aunt’s dogs. 🙂

June 21, 2018 at 10:55 am

So I’m confused, is the house up for sale again and are these current photos???

June 21, 2018 at 11:00 am

Is this in the Central Avenue District or maybe the Encanto District?

June 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm

The house is not up for sale Jacki, I am just re-posting from 8 years ago. I do not have current photos.

I don’t have the address of this home anymore..it was in central Phoenix…just off of Bethany Home if memory serves??

5. melissa L wanner Reply

June 21, 2018 at 11:26 pm

Okay, so this is going to sound crazy but we have the yellow Crane sinks from bathroom #2 in our garage right now. Not sinks that look like them but those actual sinks from that house. Our 1957 time capsule is in Mesa, AZ and when we were looking to replace some original pink cast iron sinks that had rusted through we saw an ad on Craigslist for 2 free yellow Crane sinks! Apparently the new owners that purchased that home 8 years ago had a leak. During repair prep they discovered asbestos and decided to gut the entire yellow bathroom. Those sinks were not the right size or color for our pink bathroom but we grabbed them just in case. A few months later we found the 100% porcelain pink American Standard sinks we needed in the right size from a reno in Encanto.

When my husband returned from picking up those Crane sinks he told me I missed out on checking out a sexy house & pulled it up on google maps but thank you for the tour of the inside! …..Anybody need some yellow Crane sinks 😉

June 22, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Ummmmmm, ok first….Melissa…sounds like I need a tour of your FAB house! Anybody that goes to that extent to replace a pink bathroom is aces in my book!!! Super happy you finally found the right sinks!!!

And second……whaatttttttt?! Those EXACT same yellow sinks!? I am so sad to hear that bathroom has now been gutted. I mean I get it, but still…just sad. A few years after this house sold I read an article where they talked to the new owners…it sounded pretty typical….they said they LOVED “mid century” design and loved the layout of the house…but the vibe I got was that practically the whole place would probably get gutted out…including that awesome pink bathroom. 🙁 Glad that y’all saved the sinks at least!

• Jacki Reply

June 23, 2018 at 9:59 am

Melissa, if you are serious about selling those yellow Crane sinks, let me know and I will get you my email address. :^)

• melissa L wanner Reply

July 7, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Jacki, I really am serious. I’ve wondered before how to contact the writers or fans on sites like this privately for info. If you know how, please contact me! Obviously there are some people in my neck of the woods following this site and I could use specific recommendations of contractors that do good authentic “retro” work. Many remodelers only know how to do “Modern” and think it’s Mid Century but that’s not what I’m going for. But, like Sara, I fear that will be the fate of this beautiful home.