Home » Decade » 1950 » Betty Crocker 2.0

May 16, 2018

Betty Crocker 2.0

By Julia

I love to cook. I’m always on the hunt for new cookbooks and recipes. So when I found a reproduction of Betty Crocker’s Picture Cookbook at my local bookstore, I was immediately enamored. Originally published in 1950, this cookbook has received several face lifts over the years (I have the newer version as well). But the retro artwork caught my eye in this new printing of the old classic.

I remember seeing the iconic cover at my grandma’s house with her other cookbooks. I love the font!

The design from the cover repeats on the inside. The notation on the intro page is the only thing that gives the cookbook away as a reproduction.

The “how to” page shows just how much our modern cooking habits have changed since the original Betty Crocker was published.

The nutrition guidelines have changed a bit over the years as well.

The full-color photo spreads illustrate the delightful dishes you can make using the recipes inside.

I adore the table service guidelines. When I read it, I just want to throw a fancy dinner party!

Betty Crocker even throws in some etiquette FAQ before that section was common.

The shortcuts section aids the flow of the mid-century modest kitchen and the cooks working within. A good hostess is always prepared!

Many of these tips would still be helpful in today’s kitchens.

What about you, dear readers? Have any of you found and fascinating vintage or reproduction recipes or cookbooks?

13 Responses to Betty Crocker 2.0

1. sherree Reply

May 16, 2018 at 8:26 am

I am a terrible vintage cookbook addict 🙂 When we downsized and moved to a much smaller home a few years ago I sold most of my vintage cookbooks. I had sellers remorse and have now replaced them with even more! I love the cover art and illustrations of the mid-century ones. I use them for display and switch them out frequently.

• Julia Reply

May 20, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Oh goodness, I don’t know how were able to part with any of them! I’m a collector when it comes to vintage items 🙂

2. Barbara A Grandy Reply

May 16, 2018 at 9:30 am

Yes, grandma has a first edition cookbook – “Joy of Cooking” that I used to spend hours reading…and marveling at the fancy meals and the wonder of food. I wonder if she still has that book. You would love it too.

• Julia Reply

May 20, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I haven’t read the Joy of Cooking, but it is definitely iconic 🙂

3. Melissa Hansson Reply

May 16, 2018 at 5:14 pm

My husband has given me a couple amazing cookbook reprints these past couple Christmases – the Dali & Gala cookbook & Mary & Vincent Price’s cookbook. Next I’m hoping for Andy Warhol’s Wild Raspberries.

• Julia Reply

May 20, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Ooh Andy Warhol’s sounds interesting!

4. JENNIFER KAY Reply

May 17, 2018 at 10:05 am

I have the Betty Crocker cookbook I got as a wedding present 38 years ago and the new reprint I got a couple of years ago that I thought I would give as a wedding gift but just can’t part with it yet. My original copy is quite tattered and is still my go to for the basics, that and my Mom’s homemade family recipe book.

• Julia Reply

May 20, 2018 at 8:51 pm

My mom also got a Betty Crocker cookbook as a wedding gift, and she still uses it even though the pages are falling out! It’s a classic!

5. Mod Betty Reply

May 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I got this reproduction as a wedding gift 16 years ago tomorrow, so in a way mine is getting vintage itself! While I rarely cook, I can’t help but have a stash of vintage cookbooks just for the illustrations 🙂

• Julia Reply

May 20, 2018 at 8:50 pm

The illustrations are so cool! I love flipping through and looking at the pictures.

6. Alan Reply

May 17, 2018 at 10:34 pm

OMG! Thank you for pointing this out to me. My grandma gave me a copy that looked identical to this when I went away to college in 1991. I used it a ton. I still have it but sadly it looks pretty bad. I’m totally going to order a new copy off Amazon. A quote I still remember while making my mom an apple pie for Mother’s Day back in the day is “apple pie without cheese is like a hug without a squeeze.” Good times.

• Julia Reply

May 20, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Oooh, I love apple pie! I’m glad the reprint is around so you can still use the recipes without wearing out the original any more 🙂

• Alan Reply

June 3, 2018 at 2:02 am

Got my new copy and have to correct the quote. It’s actually “apple pie without cheese is like a KISS without a squeeze.”