Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage Pink Refrigerator Dreams!

April 5, 2018

Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage Pink Refrigerator Dreams!

Mike and I are in the midst of our kitchen renovation right now! We are installing Endora laminate and all pink vintage appliances and I am super pumped about how everything is turning out! There is just one little, teeny-tiny nagging dilemma right now….and that is finding just the right refrigerator for our space!!! I was hoping to find a refrigerator maybe just like this……..

Our kitchen has an area for the refrigerator that is surrounded by cabinets and the wall oven. I hate showing you all this picture, but here goes….this is the modern refrigerator the occupies our space right now.

image

You can see it is MUCH too bulky for the space. UGH! I feel like this area needs more of a “built-in” fridge look…much more flush with the cabinetry, but I am having such a hard time finding something that will work. Our refrigerator opening is 24” deep X 72” tall X 36” wide, so we need more of a true counter depth or built-in refrigerator.

I have tried researching “built-in” refrigerators but is seems like all the ones I have come across are over 80” in height and we have a cabinet, above the fridge, we do not want to remove , so that rules all of those out. Perhaps there is something more “counter depth” out there that will work, but it seems like the sizes have come across are all off for our space as I do not want to have a super tiny counter depth fridge either. I also do not want ice and water in the door anymore, I just want a plain, vintage looking, refrigerator.

We have considered both Big Chill and Elmira Northstar. I LOVE the look of the “Retropoliatan” but, unfortunately, the dimensions are off for our space and they really do not offer any counter depth refrigerators at all. I even went so far as to contact Big Chill to ask if any counter depth model refrigerator was  in the future….their reply “We have had requests, but nothing is on the table for the foreseeable future”. Elmira does have one refrigerator they claim is counter depth, but the doors are SO bulky it sticks out as much as our modern refrigerator.

All of this “bulk” had me pondering a true vintage refrigerator…just like the pretty pink one in this old Frigidaire catalog I posted about a while back.

Vintage 1960s Frigidaire Appliance Catalog!

image

I would even love something like this if it were the right dimensions.

image

I came across this beauty a while ago and was in talks with the owners to buy it…………

image

…it was exactly the right size for our space and had the FAB swing out shelves……….

image

…..they I found out they sold it out from under me to someone else. Whomp-whomp. *insert crying emoji here*

I have to admit, I was pretty heartbroken to lose out on such a perfect refrigerator.

Sooooooo, the search goes on. If I found the *right* refrigerator I’d definitely be willing to have it painted pink…but so far, no luck.

If anyone out there has any leads on a vintage pink refrigerator, or knows of someone that might be pondering selling one similar to the one above (even if it is a different color)  PLEASE tell them to drop me a comment here on this post!!! Alternately, if anyone has any suggestions for a modern refrigerator that would work in my space I’m all ears!!!

22 Responses to Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Vintage Pink Refrigerator Dreams!

April 5, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Melinda – Yes, I forgot to say we also considered Smeg…..their sizing is off for our space as well. 🙁

1. Steve Reply

April 5, 2018 at 8:47 am

I’m excited to see a new post from the Retro Ranch, because I have just spent the past 2 nights pulling up every single RR post, hanging on the edge of my seat to see what next in your fabulous home you’d turn your skills onto! I so admire how nothing gets half-done in your home; you guys always seem to persevere to do it the hard way when it’s the right way (like those wood floors,for example!).

I’ve decided a certain TV channel could somewhat try and redeem itself from its Flipped-out Floppiness by giving you and Mike your own show starring the Retro Ranch. You guys are truly the atomic stars of diligent restoration!

I hope the pink fridge of your dreams slides into that wonderful kitchen of yours soon!

April 5, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Steve!!!! You just put the BIGGEST smile on my face today!!!!! 🙂 Thank you SO much for your kind words and compliments!!! I honestly appreciate it so very much. A LOT of the little time consuming parts of what we do I never show here on the blog….but you are so right…we really do it “the hard way”…and ultimately I am so happy we did do it the hard way because I think it really does turn out better in the end!

Haha, OMG, I would LOVE it if HGTV had some kind of restoration show instead of all those sad “gutting” shows that put literally the same thing into EVERY house! Ugh. 🙁 There is one show on DIY channel called “Restored” its the only show I will watch on the home channels.

Thank you SO much for the well wishes on the pink fridge and stay tuned…more RR posts coming up soon to show all of our hard work in the kitchen! 🙂

2. Dan Reply

April 5, 2018 at 8:54 am

I have never understood why cabinet depth fridges are not the norm. I guess it is a holdover from the days when kitchens were a collection of stand alone cabinets and appliances, but those days pretty much ended in the 1940s. Stoves are built to a standard cabinet depth – why not the fridge?

April 5, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Dan, I know, why not cabinet depth for modern fridges?! Ugh. That is kind of the main reason I was trying to find a 50s/60s fridge…..it seems like cabinet depth was much more the norm back then.

3. Lynne Reply

April 5, 2018 at 9:08 am

Have you tried looking at a used appliance store? We have several used places here in Central Illinois that refurbish and sell old appliances. It could be a place holder until you find the perfect fridge.

The last time I was in Lowes, and Menards they had a few small, regular models. They were the two door, smooth front style. Again, just a placeholder for the perfect one, but not the monster you’re dealing with now.

April 5, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I have tried to look at some used appliance stores around here Lynne…and I am also looking on Craigslist as well. If something looks like it might fit the bill for the time being I will definitely consider it! 🙂

4. veg-o-matic Reply

April 5, 2018 at 11:59 am

We went with Betty laminate, but Endora was in the running!

5. RetroRuth Reply

April 5, 2018 at 3:26 pm

If anyone can find the right fridge, I know you can, Sara!!! You and Mike always do things right!

April 5, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Girl, your lips to the pink refrigerator gods ears! LOL! 🙂

April 5, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Sara, I know that the fridge we bought doesn’t have an ice maker, but Fisher Paykel does make other counter depths besides ours that do have ice. Have you looked at some of their other designs? Or maybe they have made some changes since we bought ours 2 years ago.

April 6, 2018 at 2:33 am

I will have to take another look Jacki! I do like the look of those fridges!

7. Suzy Reply

April 5, 2018 at 11:33 pm

I have that exact GE refrigerator with the swing out shelves in canary yellow.

April 6, 2018 at 2:34 am

Let me know if you ever want to sell it Suzy! 🙂

8. rhoda Reply

April 6, 2018 at 9:00 am

I googled counter depth refrigerator and it looks like there are a few to choose from without an ice maker in the door. Maybe you already did this and the sizes aren’t working for you but many look like the height may work too.

9. Beth Reply

April 6, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Sara, have you tried: http://www.antiqueappliances.com/antique-refrigerators/

They may not have what you want right now, but you never know when something could become available.

April 7, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Beth…..I had actually come across that site a while back, but had forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder, I will definitely contact them if I don’t find something in the near future!

10. Max Reply

April 7, 2018 at 6:39 pm

In case you weren’t aware of it, the http://automaticwasher.org/ website has a discussion for people who collect vintage appliances, and people often post about appliances for sale.

I see refrigerators like those at estate sales, but the prospect of arranging to move it in such a short amount of time is too much to work out.

April 9, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Thanks for the reminder Max, I have heard of that site….I will be sure to check it out soon! 🙂

11. Barb Kernaghan Reply