Home » Decade » 1950 » Jacki and Dave Retro Renovate Their Forever Home – The Retro Kitchen Reveal!

February 8, 2018

Jacki and Dave Retro Renovate Their Forever Home – The Retro Kitchen Reveal!

Are you ready?! This is the day y’all have been waiting for…the full reveal of all Jacki and Dave’s hard work…the final post on their epic basement kitchen installation! From Jacki….

Here are some good finished photos.  The whole house is full of these Nutone intercoms.  13 intercom stations including the front door and the sliding glass back door.  They also play radio stations throughout the house and the patio has a big speaker also. I found the orange phone at a local antique shop.  I talk on it all the time.

image

Oh gosh Jacki, ALL those accessories are SO period perfect…..I LOVE that phone!

Dave installed some single LED long bar lights over the stove area and to hide them I bought vintage semi sheer daisy fabric to make a long valance.  The mango colored countertops I special ordered from Lowes.  Someday I hope to have the ’47 fridge repainted.  Dave is afraid to have it done.  He says we’ve been lucky with all of the moves we have made and just our luck that will be what kills it.  It had never in it’s life been repaired according to the elderly woman we bought it from back in 1998 and we have never had it repaired either.  Best refrigerator I have ever had.

image

I adore that valance Jacki – it looks great! AND that refrigerator…..whoa!!! It’s NEVER been repaired……I am blown away! If only they made stuff like they used to right?! Ha, and yeah…maybe don’t repaint it lol!

Desert Sand Corlon.  Just like in your kitchen.  Although after I decided on yellow, orange and green, I wish I had chosen a color with yellow in it.  We put Corlon throughout the house in the bathrooms and both kitchens.  I Love it!

image

You know I love that flooring Jacki, and I think the flooring looks amazing in your kitchen!

Two of these countertop Flair cooktops came with the kitchen.  Evidently, they were used in the Butler’s pantry.  I am only using one since I don’t have the room for a second one and the other has a cracked left glass piece.

image

Each side folds down into a burner.  BTW, if you see a shine on the wall, it’s because we covered the wall paper in plexiglass sheets to protect the wallpaper.  Surprisingly it looks nice!  The paper doesn’t have a protective coating.

image

Those fold down burners are the bees knees Jacki, and brilliant idea to cover the wallpaper in plexiglass – I love that!

Sooooooo lovely Jacki!

image

It’s hard to believe that stainless steel appliances were popular in 1957.  These are original to the kitchen.

image

I have seen vintage stainless appliances here and there too Jacki – it is so interesting to see they were also popular back then!

The finished kitchen!

image

Wow! Wow! Wow!!!!! Jacki and Dave I am blown away by ALL of your hard work! This kitchen is stunning and I love everything y’all did, your attention to detail is beyond amazing! I can tell what a labor of love this kitchen was for you both – it really shines now because of all of your hard work…well done Jacki and Dave!

Now, I’ve got to ask…..which kitchen do you use more Jacki – the basement kitchen or the upstairs kitchen??? Smile

9 Responses to Jacki and Dave Retro Renovate Their Forever Home – The Retro Kitchen Reveal!

1. Eartha Kitsch Reply

February 8, 2018 at 3:14 pm

SO cute! It’s like they have a movie set in their basement! I wouldn’t paint the fridge. That original color is yummy and people have always had things even in period homes that were from decades before. My grandmother put plexi behind her stovetop to protect her wallpaper too. It’s a good idea!

2. Susan from Boston Reply

February 9, 2018 at 11:32 am

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gor-GEOUS! I am utterly blow away over here…

Nice work.

I too want to know… which kitchen do you use more?

• Jacki Reply

February 10, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Hi Susan, generally I use my upstairs kitchen since it is just the two of us for every day cooking. The downstairs kitchen is for Cake Decorating and summertime canning unless we just want to hang out downstairs with guests or watch a movie. Thanks so much for the accolades! :^)

3. mary Reply

February 10, 2018 at 8:59 am

This an epic renovation. Every detail done just right and that wallpaper brings every element together

• Jacki Reply

February 10, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Thank you Mary, it was epic alright lol, it took a year of trying to find time to squeeeeeze a project in here and there. I love the wallpaper. Once I found the perfect wallpaper, the rest of the decorating just fell together.

4. Michele Reply

February 11, 2018 at 9:56 pm

What a delight! Seeing the stainless appliances from that era is a first for me and I absolutely love it. Your kitchen is an inspiration for me; thank you for sharing.

5. Julie Reply

February 28, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Okay, so how does one move an entire kitchen?! I’m dying to hear about what a nightmare the logistics were so I don’t end up trying to do this myself. Your gorgeous project makes it too tempting!

• Jacki Reply

March 1, 2018 at 11:31 pm

Long story in a nutshell. My husband built a plywood box on his 18 ft car trailer. We drove 6 hours to the storage unit in Indianapolis from East TN and filled the trailer. We ran into a rainstorm on the way back and had to stop along the way for repairs because the soaked plywood was coming apart. I watched the trailer in my mirror the rest of the trip afterwards to make sure we didn’t lose pieces of it along the highway. We ended up making a second trip with a large rental trailer because there were so many cabinets. There was a U- shaped stainless steel countertop that was approximately 16’ long with 8’ legs on each end that we ended up giving to a lady who was at the storage place because there was absolutely no way to get it in ANY trailer. I was so relieved when we finally got them all home. It was a lot of work and time, but I would do it all over again. :^)

• Julie Reply

March 2, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Oh my goodness. Amazing. Every detail of the end result is just perfect.