Home » Decade » 1960 » A Pair of Chairs

February 14, 2018

A Pair of Chairs

By Julia

When my husband and I first moved into our house, it was a blank canvas. We did not have much furniture and the task of finding seating for our living room seemed rather daunting. Since we were looking for items with a retro vibe, I scoured our local Craigslist almost every day. My diligence usually paid off and we were able to find some great deals on vintage pieces that were in excellent shape. One such score was our red Kroehler chairs. A family who lived near us was looking to unload the vintage chairs in favor of something more stain-resistant. The price was reasonable, the cushions were still in great condition, and best of all, we were able to get them home in our little car without renting a U-Haul!

The chairs were a his-and-hers set with an ottoman. The “his” has a taller back and, when paired with the ottoman, makes a fantastic reading chair.

The “hers” is shorter in the back. I adore the bold color and the spindly walnut legs coordinate well with our Saga furniture.

The chairs are quite versatile, as they work well sitting together as a vignette or apart on opposite sides of a doorway. The upholstery was in great shape with minimal wear and almost no fading, but it does collect pet hair.

The seller was also looking to part with this cool floor lamp and included it in the selling price of the chair set. Of course we had to bring it home too! It needed a little dusting, but it works well and adds good light to an otherwise dark corner of the living room.

What about you, dear readers? Have any of you scored a great deal on Craigslist this winter?

6 Responses to A Pair of Chairs

1. Sara In AZ Reply

February 14, 2018 at 10:49 am

Those are a really great set of chairs….and the pole lamp too!

I haven’t had any luck on Craigslist at all lately….seems like no one wants to return my emails/texts!?! 🙁

• Julia Reply

February 18, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Our local Craigslist definitely comes in waves as well. Some days there are a lot of cool items and then there are dry spells.

2. Barbara A Grandy Reply

February 14, 2018 at 11:52 am

I never noticed that the chair backs were 2 different heights. How about that. I love the red – so cheery. I don’t really visit Craigslist, but know others who have.

3. Julia Reply

February 18, 2018 at 5:01 pm

The red color was what drew us in!

4. Susan Halla Reply

February 19, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Ooh! I think I have the same “his” chair – the upholstery is in okay (not great) condition, but I’m going to be reupholstering it in a vivid turquoise whenever I get the chance. (I’ve had the fabric for about 1 1/2 years now!) To be fair, at the same time that I bought the fabric for that chair, I also bought fabric to reupholster dining room chairs (done in a heartbeat) and another Adrian Pearsall “Her” chair and I’ve done that one, too, so the “His” chair is the last to do. Anyway, I’m babbling as I do in REAL life…but since I haven’t uncovered the chair, I didn’t really know it’s heritage, but I’m pretty darn sure it’s the same as your so…Kroehler it is!

My best score EVER was a pair of Danish wood armchairs that someone had just left in our alley. They were in great shape and the fabric even matched my living room! I was on my way (and running late) to something, but I thought that if they were there when I got back, then they were mine. And they were! Covered in 3″ of snow, but none the worse for the wear. I love them.

I think I’ll stop talking now!

• Julia Reply

February 19, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Very cool! I love the serendipity of the chairs in the alley!