Home » Decade » 1950 » The New Couch

January 24, 2018

The New Couch

By Julia

A few weeks ago, I shared that my husband and I visited an antiques warehouse to look at a sofa. We got distracted by all the other neat items and couldn’t decide on a sofa we wanted to bring home. Well, after some chatting we made a decision! The turquoise beauty that originally drew us to go antiquing ended up being the winner!

Here she is, still in the warehouse. The cool thing is that this place offered free delivery to our area! The owners were awesome to work with.

At 8 feet long, she’s a little bit longer than our previous sofa, but fits nicely in the living room. She was manufactured by Widdicomb Furniture Company of Grand Rapids, MI in probably the late 1950s.

The back cushions have cool details. They aren’t very tall, but they are supportive.

In this closeup of the upholstery, you can see the texture. The color is a little blue or a little green depending upon which way the light hits it. I love that it has a little sheen that changes with the direction of the lighting.

We are enamored with our new sofa, even though she has a faint warehouse scent that is beginning to dissipate. How about you dear readers? Do any of you have a special sofa or any recommendations to clear up the remaining warehouse odor?

12 Responses to The New Couch

January 24, 2018 at 8:18 am

Julia, the best way that I have found to clear up musty odors is to air the cushions outside for a week or so. Watch for a week of nice dry (humidity and precipitation) days. Love the color. :^)

• Julia Reply

January 24, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Thanks for the tip!

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

January 24, 2018 at 9:28 am

Wow, that trapunto quilting on the back cushions is amazing!

This piece is the same size and shape as the one we brought home in the back of our Honda Civic a few years ago. Pretty sure I sent you a picture. So believe me, I appreciate that you got this thing delivered. I think of these puppies as dachshund sofas…lo-o-o-n-n-g and low!

3. Eartha Kitsch Reply

January 24, 2018 at 9:29 am

It’s beautiful! I love that peacock hue.

4. Jan Reply

January 24, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Beautiful color, Julia! Congratulations on your new couch!

5. Julia Reply

January 24, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Oh my, how did you manage to fit a sofa in a Honda Civic?!

6. RetroRuth Reply

January 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm

That is lovely! Congrats on the beautiful sofa!

7. Kelly Reply

January 25, 2018 at 7:16 am

I love your sofa. I too collect MCM furniture although there is little selection in my area of the country even before it became a fad 🙂

I have used two things in the past that are environmentally safe…

Baking Soda and charcoal both removes odors. Musty smell in wood you can use those refrigerator boxes and place them in the drawer or cabinet.

Fabric pieces though I use it on the dust cover under the cushions and vacuum additionally turn the item on its side or upside down and remove the dust cover underneath and sprinkle and vacuum. If you like specific scents you can add a few drops of scented oil (citrus scents or floral).You can use a staple gun to reattach the bottom dust cover when finished.

For cushions I use the charcoal absorber bags that you place in shoes. Amazon sells them in a bulk size of 12 or so for not much and I place the fabric item in a large trash, dry cleaner or super size department store bag and close it up with tape for a couple days…this works on anything fabric including linens and clothing.

Hope this helps…

8. Sbritanica Reply

January 25, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Hi Julia!

Your beautiful sofa has a “shot” fabric. I have seen this effect in raw silk, cotton and finely-spun wool. The weft, which runs from ‘right to weft’, is the green thread with a lovely texture called slubs. The warp, which runs the length of the fabric on the loom and ‘travels at warp speed’, is the finely-spun blue thread. The color-changing appearance happens as you move because you are viewing primarily the green threads and then the blue.

The trapunto design on the cushions is relatively easy to achieve but delivers a real punch in effect. Layer your primary fabric with cotton muslin, stitch the design by hand or machine and then stuff wool roving into the design from the back through a small slit until the design is filled and even to your satisfaction. You can achieve this look on finished furniture by removing the foam etc. from inside the cushions and do your stitching and stuffing then. If you use a contrasting thread you can really have a stunning, and more visible, design.

You might want to refresh the sofa cushions, and at the same time remove some of that ‘warehouse smell’ by replacing or adding some moderately soft batting around each foam form and replace the forms back into the cases.

Congratulations on a wonderful find! I’m in the L.A. area, so it’s good that my warehouse stores are mostly picked through or I’d be forced to get a bigger house! Cheers, Susan

January 25, 2018 at 3:45 pm

That looks soooooo comfy.

10. Cocoa Lee Reply

January 25, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Love the new sofa. I have had good luck with spraying vinegar on things to get the “warehouse” and other smells out of things. As soon as the vinegar dries, the vinegar smell goes away. It is also good for getting rid of household odors as well. Just set small bowls of it around and it just sucks it up! It also works well for when you forget to take the laundry out of the washer and dry it and it gets that icky smell. Add some to the rinse cycle and it also works as a fabric softener.

11. Julia Reply