Home » Decade » 1950 » Going Antiquing

January 3, 2018

Going Antiquing

By Julia

I found a sofa on Craigslist that looked mid-century fabulous. My husband and I went to go see it, and it turns out the sellers actually had a whole warehouse full of goodies! Quality Vintage Collectibles is located in Grandville, MI. Their hours are mostly by appointment only, so definitely call ahead if you want to visit. Here are a few of the goodies we spotted on our visit.

This turquoise beauty is the sofa we originally went to see. It’s hard to tell from the photo, but it had a shimmery upholstery that was turquoise in one direction and bright green in another. But we had a tough choice, because another contender popped up.

This sofa also caught our attention. The upholstery feels almost like macrame, but is in great shape for it’s age. The couch itself is actually a sectional- it splits into two pieces right in the middle, so it could be arranged as an L-shape or in two halves with a table in the middle. Or on opposite sides of the room. This was also being sold as a set with the coffee table here and….

…A matching chair! This set was reasonably priced, but we couldn’t decide between it and the turquoise wonder that drew us in. So we wandered.

This RCA stereo console was playing the local oldies station. It was loud enough to carry throughout the entire warehouse.

This George Nelson clock was super cool, even if it’s not the iconic ball clock.

I’ve been on the hunt for a set of tiki mugs, so these fellows followed us home.

This coffee table base was missing its glass topper, but look at that bent wood frame. Gorgeous!

This pair of lamps looked like a distant cousin of my de-light-ful lamp. The shades were in good shape and the ceramic bases are so intriguing.

These chairs and stools are so cool. I love the bright colors of the fiberglass chairs and the boxy lines of the bar stools. I wish I could take them all home.

How about you, dear readers? Have any of you had mid-century adventures yet this year?

8 Responses to Going Antiquing

1. Jenée Libby Reply

January 3, 2018 at 10:29 am

I have that EXACT lamp in black and gold! Had to purchase a new shade for it….so nice to see what the original is supposed to look like thank you!

• Julia Reply

January 9, 2018 at 9:01 pm

That’s amazing! You’re welcome!

2. Pat in PA Reply

January 4, 2018 at 5:46 pm

So…I am curious which couch you came home with?? I can see it would be a tough choice!

• Julia Reply

January 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Sadly, neither sofa made their way home with us. Yet 🙂

3. Susan Halla Reply

January 10, 2018 at 11:09 am

I, too, am curious on the couch choice! You can’t hold out on us like that….

We have a seller here in St. Louis who also has by-appointment-only hours. His place is in an old warehouse down by the river under the Eades Bridge so it’s a little creepy and “where the hell am I going” as you’re driving to get there. We went for one thing but had to mosey around the warehouse looking at EVERYTHING and ended up coming home with multiple goodies. It’s fun to find those sellers!

• Julia Reply

January 14, 2018 at 1:54 pm

We love St. Louis! So many mid-century goodies!

January 11, 2018 at 6:00 pm

I remember when I was growing up in Phoenix, my dad had a Danish Modern chair very similar to the striped one; it was “Dad’s chair”. I remember it having rubber straps in the back and under the seat cushion. My folks replaced the cushions several times as they must have had that chair for close to 15 years. You are so lucky to have an affordable MCM place nearby, I’m envious! Keep us posted on the “choice”.

• Julia Reply

January 14, 2018 at 1:55 pm

This one had rubber straps as well, but they needed a little TLC.