Home » Decade » 1960 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Norman, Oklahoma

November 26, 2017

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Norman, Oklahoma

By Eartha Kitsch

I was looking through real estate listings from all over the country and this lovely traditional home caught my eye. The curb appeal reminds me of a Better Homes And Gardens cover story home from the sixties. This house was screaming out to me to get some attention for it.  We both want someone to buy and love it! Let’s take a peek at that curb appeal:

This home is located at 517 Merrywood Lane in Norman, Oklahoma. It has 5 bedrooms and 3.5 baths and was built in 1964. It is listed as having 3,707 square feet and the asking price is $635,000. It is listed by Nancy Yoch with Don Cies Real Estate. From the listing:

Custom Built, one owner home with 5 large bedrooms, 3.5 baths in a park like setting. Mid century modern style featuring large rooms, eat in kitchen, birch cabinets and 2 desks. Den with fireplace and tons of storage. Also, fireplace in living room with floor to ceiling windows, new carpet. Extra large utility room. Attached shop is almost 100 sq ft, not included in square footage. Tornado shelter. 95 year old pecan trees in field behind home!

Note: Though the house has new carpeting, I like picturing it without it. I think some hardwoods in this home would really make it shine. I can’t help but wonder if there are any under the carpet! Let’s take a look inside!

FOYER

LIVING ROOM

DINING AREA

I like that built-in sideboard and the green color in these two rooms makes me happy!

KITCHEN

I think the birch cabinets with the blue appliances are beautiful. Look at that huge wall of windows over the sink!

I just love the built-in desks! Can’t you just imagine tons of vintage cookbooks up there on those shelves?

DINING NOOK

DEN

Just a few switch-ups in here could make this room really sing again.

SOME OF THE BEDROOMS

This one has a sweet little walk-out to the patio that you’ll see in a minute.

BATHROOMS

LAUNDRY/UTILITY ROOM

PATIO AREA AND YARD

I love the yard and those nearly 100 year old pecan trees!  To me, this one-owner property puts off an air of a place that has been well-kept and loved by the family within it for the past 50+ years. So sweet and joyful. Traditional homes like this one really speak to me.

What about you, readers? What do you like about this home?

10 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Norman, Oklahoma

1. Melinda Reply

November 26, 2017 at 8:42 am

That kitchen! The whole house is lovely, but all that carpet would have to go. Especially in the bathrooms.

2. Gretchen in Greenwood Reply

November 26, 2017 at 8:44 am

I love the efficiency of these midcentury homes- those wonderful baths with tile everywhere, and the profusion of built-in storage units in laundry, bath, and bedrooms. Modern homes, even high end ones, never seem to have such wonderful cabinetry.

3. BobinAlabama Reply

November 26, 2017 at 10:03 am

Wow, another unadulterated MCM beauty. It’s a gem that will require only cosmetic (and a few practical) updates. Love it.

4. Lauri Reply

November 26, 2017 at 10:37 am

The vacuuming job in the living room is pretty spectacular. Love this home!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm

That made me tired just looking at it! It’s definitely an art. 🙂

5. Sara In AZ Reply

November 26, 2017 at 12:33 pm

This is my favorite kind of mid century home…..the large ranch style….so long and low….fabulous! That kitchen is killing me….ALL those cabinets!!! Its such a great house, you are right, with a few little tweaks it would be amazing!

6. sherree Reply

November 26, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I just love this one! This style is representative of mid-century homes in my neck of the woods. There are very few true “modern” ones here; I attribute that to our climate which limits indoor-outdoor living to a few months of the year. I can’t get over all the cabinetry and storage. And the kitchen and bathrooms! I wonder if the tiled fireplace area in the den is original or a later remodel/ addition? It seems a little different in style than the rest of the home.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 26, 2017 at 11:06 pm

That’s what I thought too! (about the fireplace tile). Maybe a decor touch that came later?

7. Noir Reply

November 27, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Gorgeous, I love that kitchen. And they carpeted the bathrooms? I’ll never understand why people think carpet in the bathroom is a good idea.

8. Susan Halla Reply

December 1, 2017 at 10:33 am

My three favorite things about this home:

– The Laundry room with the matching wall and valance in the cute stripe.

– Those kitchen cabinets – they are divine!*

– All of the built-ins. Who needs furniture with all of those built-ins with places to store all your goodies?

(* I hope beyond hope that someone doesn’t come in with a sledgehammer and just bust those babies out – it would be such a shame. The wood is gorgeous and it is all in such spectacular shape.)