Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Purchase, New York

October 29, 2017

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Purchase, New York

By MidModMichelle

Hey folks! I know many of you are busy with Halloween festivities this weekend, so I will just leave this here. This mid-century modern home is cool as a cucumber, even though it does need some TLC. I couldn’t overlook this one because hello- CONVERSATION PIT. (#housegoals) The price seemed high to me at first, then I realized how close it was to New York City. So I guess that short 30 minute commute to the Big Apple really does up the value!

This home is located at 140 Lincoln Ave, Purchase, New York on a 2 acre wooded lot. It is a 5 bedroom, 5 bath, 5,430 square foot home built in 1956 that is being offered at $1,750,000. The listing is courtesy of Dan Demers at SellYourHomeServices.com. For more information and additional photos you can check out the listing here. From the listing:

Mature trees offer privacy throughout this two-acre property. In southern Westchester, homes with mature wood-lands are surprisingly rare. This mid-century modern treasure is 24 miles from Lincoln Center, 4.5 miles from White Plains Metro North train station, and just 8 minutes from Westchester Airport. This 1956 mid-century modern house is a true Post and Beam with 6”x8” posts and 6”x14” beams throughout. A tiled entry leads to a 32’x40′ living room, half of which is sunken around a floor to ceiling stone fireplace. A 20’x15′ formal dining room has floor to ceiling windows, built-in sideboard and china cabinet. A glass door opens to the 50’x13′ covered patio. This kind of outdoor privacy, so close to New York City. You can fall asleep to the sound of crickets and birds, yet live minutes away from small cities like White Plains and vibrant little towns like Rye and Port Chester.

ADDITIONAL EXTERIOR

ENTRY HALL

LIVING ROOM

LIBRARY

STAIRWELL

BEDROOMS

BATHROOMS

YARD

What did y’all think about that sunken living room?! Anyhoo, see y’all next week!

9 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Purchase, New York

1. Dan Reply

October 29, 2017 at 8:00 am

Needs a lot of love, but could be a real killer diller place. I covet those murals, especially the Sol Lewittish one with the interlocking half circles. Back in the 70’s my parents let the kids decorate a small room just for us, and we used a wallpaper with a similar pattern. Coolest place in town!
    No kitchen pics – hmmmm.
    Post and beam houses are notoriously difficult to heat and cool. I can guarantee those expanses of window are all single pane, and I doubt there is much, if any insulation in the roof. It looks like electric baseboard heat was added to supplement the forced hot air in some rooms and some AC’s have been crudely added. Trying to ameliorate this problem is tremendously difficult and expensive. We can only hope this house finds a buyer with the desire and the bucks to do right by it.

• MidModMichelle Reply

October 29, 2017 at 11:12 am

Yeah I meant to mention that there were no kitchen photos which I thought was odd. I love the murals too! And I’m sure it costs a small fortune to heat and cool that place. Ugh.

2. Sandi Reply

October 29, 2017 at 9:20 am

There aren’t any photos of the kitchen in the listing either. Who does that? Must be a shocker of a kitchen. Loved the house, but Dan is right. It’s going to take someone who is really interested in restoring the home, and who has a boatload of money. Hope that’s who buys it.

• MidModMichelle Reply

October 29, 2017 at 11:14 am

I know! I hate it when listing agents just completely leave out photos, especially when it’s something important like a kitchen.

3. BobinAlabama Reply

October 29, 2017 at 9:31 am

It will take a small fortune to bring this home back to its original glory, but it is a potential showcase. I hope it finds a buyer who appreciates that potential and has a respect for the time period of the house. This is one of those homes I’d like to see in a “before and after” feature. What fun for somebody with deep pockets!

• MidModMichelle Reply

October 29, 2017 at 11:15 am

Totally spot on there. I bet there are a lot of folks with deep pockets that close to NYC, at least, let’s keep our fingers crossed! This place could be fab with a serious investment!

4. dkzody Reply

October 29, 2017 at 11:16 am

I think it’s a superb home, just the way it is. I can imagine the parties that must have been given here. It is definitely a place where one entertains, A LOT. That said, I too wonder about the kitchen. The row of doors at the top of that fabulous staircase intrigue me. Closets?

5. Beth Reply

October 30, 2017 at 12:29 pm

What’s behind the row of doors in the stairwell photo? Are those bedrooms? Looks like an office.

6. Steve Reply

October 30, 2017 at 2:11 pm

I so fear this one is fated for a tear down for property value. It appears the lower level got a reno at some point that possibly tore out/painted over original details and made the spaces look rather commercial. The upstairs row of doors looks like mechanical access of some sort- strange. The exterior is still exquisite,though!